Hänsel und Gretel
HÄNSEL und GRETEL
An enchanting opera filled with refreshing melodies and colourful characters. A fairytale for young and old that combines the richness of a Wagnerian orchestra with the simplicity of folk songs. An exceptional collaboration with the National Circus School and the National Theatre School of Canada. Emerging artists, opera, and circus arts… it promises to be magical.
Two children, off picking strawberries, lose their way in the forest. Along the way, they come across the Dew Fairy, the Sandman, and a mouth-watering gingerbread house… not to mention a threatening cannibalistic witch.
- Opera in 3 acts
- Libretto: Adelheid Wette, after the brothers Grimm's fairytale
- Premiere: Hoftheater, Weimar, December 23, 1893
- Sung in German with English-French surtitles
- Production : Atelier lyrique, National Theatre School of Canada and National Circus School
Hänsel Emma Char / Gretel Frédérique Drolet / Gertrud France Bellemare / Peter Cairan Ryan / The Witch Rachèle Tremblay / Dew Fairy/Sandman Florie Valiquette / Conductor Alain Trudel / Stage Director Hugo Bélanger / National Circus School / Musicians of Orchestre Métropolitain
A dynamic and “user-friendly” introduction to the performance. Hosted by musicologist Pierre Vachon, this get-together is like a journey into the heart of the work’s music and history, its libretto and its symbols, the production’s artists, etc.
- Language: in French with brief summary in English.
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Place: Piano Nobile, salle Wilfrid-Pelletier
- Time: 6:30 pm
- Cost: Free for subscribers ; $5 for general public