Hänsel und Gretel
HÄNSEL und GRETEL
An enchanting opera filled with refreshing melodies and colourful characters. A fairytale for young and old that combines the richness of a Wagnerian orchestra with the simplicity of folk songs. An exceptional collaboration with the National Circus School and the National Theatre School of Canada. Emerging artists, opera, and circus arts… it promises to be magical.
Two children, off picking strawberries, lose their way in the forest. Along the way, they come across the Dew Fairy, the Sandman, and a mouth-watering gingerbread house… not to mention a threatening cannibalistic witch.
- Opera in 3 acts
- Libretto: Adelheid Wette, after the brothers Grimm's fairytale
- Premiere: Hoftheater, Weimar, December 23, 1893
- Sung in German with English-French surtitles
- Production : PRODUCTIONS ODM INC.
- Presentation: Atelier lyrique de l’Opéra de Montréal, in collaboration with the National Theatre School of Canada and the National Circus School.
Hänsel Emma Char / Gretel Frédérique Drolet / Gertrud France Bellemare / Peter Cairan Ryan / The Witch Rachèle Tremblay / The Dew Fairy+Sandman Florie Valiquette / Conductor Alain Trudel / Stage Director Hugo Bélanger / Costume designer Naomi Fontaine / Set designer Odile Gamache / Lighting designer Julie Basse / Prop designer Alain Jenkins / Acrobatic designer Veronica Melis / National Circus School / coOpéra Children chorus / Musicians of Orchestre Métropolitain
A dynamic and “user-friendly” introduction to the performance. Hosted by musicologist Pierre Vachon, this get-together is like a journey into the heart of the work’s music and history, its libretto and its symbols, the production’s artists, etc.
- Language: in French with brief summary in English.
- Duration: 30 minutes
- Place: Piano Nobile, salle Wilfrid-Pelletier
- Time: 6:30 pm
- Cost: Free for subscribers ; $5 for general public